Relocating your business means a lot of things. It could be moving your office from one city to another or the city to the suburbs. Depending on your industry, you also have to transfer your equipment, tools, etc.
Company relocation is not cheap. Heavy industries like construction, steel production, logistics, mining, etc., need to work with machinery moving companies, such as Matcom, to move their equipment safely, not just regular movers. For most offices, it involves assembly and disassembly of furniture, moving computers, and other supplies and tools.
Consider the following to help you achieve a smooth office relocation:
1. Find a New Location
Once you decide to make a move, find a new space. Do this at least 10 to 12 months prior to your planned moving date. Consider the needs and sustainability of your business to grow when seeking a new location. Whether your company is small or medium-sized, it’s best to put together a team that can handle your moving process.
2. Set Your Moving Budget
Office relocation costs vary. Some companies have heavy or specialized equipment that needs special handling. There are also times when delays cause additional expenses. That’s why many people find that sticking to their moving budget is as hard as setting it. You may encounter hidden and surprising costs you never thought of that can hurt your pocket.
It’s important to plan this early on, especially if you haven’t done it before. If you can, work with a reputable moving company knowledgeable in this field. Ask for quotes from different companies and go for the best one that you believe suits your needs.
Once you finalize your moving date, communicate this to necessary parties – internal and external. Additionally, make sure that you notify them about your new address. These people or entities include:
- Current landlord
- Team members (Tell them about their responsibilities)
- Local partners, suppliers, affiliates, especially those who will be affected by your move
- Service providers
- Insurance companies
You have to decide whether you will take your furniture with you or replace them entirely. If you choose to take them to your new office, you may hire a company for refurbishing. It also involves a reputable moving company transporting everything to the new location.
Furthermore, take care of necessary paperwork, permits, and licenses. Remember to arrange for cleaning services for your current location. At this stage, the following should be your team’s primary focus:
- Tell everyone about directions of the new location, parking instructions, public transportation, etc.
- Packing procedures and layout
- Assign a standard way to label laptops, hard drives, screens, keyboards, etc.
- Delegate members who will stay at the current location until the last day of moving and who will be going ahead to the new site.
- Make sure that everyone takes home their personal belongings.
- Tell everyone to empty their filing cabinets, etc.
5. Moving Day
Consider these tips to help you ensure everything goes well on your big day:
- Remember to contact telephone and internet companies and book a date when these should be operational.
- Arrange for your new IT system installation.
- See to it that the team placed all items in the proper locations.
- Set a budget for refreshments for the moving crew and other people involved.
- If required, arrange for the air conditioning on your move.
- Always keep emergency contact numbers at hand, either listed on paper or on your mobile phone.
- If you’re planning for an office-warming party, assign a committee to take care of that.
6. Settling In
It’s now time to go back to business as soon as you can. Consider these steps to settle down finally:
- Define all areas clearly for all your staff to see.
- Set up all your telephone lines, computers, and tech equipment.
- Update your website for new details if there are necessary details for your clients to know.
- At this point, your insurance should already be transferred.
- Check all invoices and payments, ensuring you have wrapped up all payments to your old premises.
Working With the Right Movers Company
Hiring a movers company simplifies the process and gives you relief. Though it ups your moving expenses, it saves you time, energy, and stress. They don’t just take the heavy lifting for you, but they ensure you have free time to do other essential activities on your moving day.
First of all, ask for recommendations from people you trust. After getting a few names of reputable companies, look for testimonials about them from their previous customers. It’s crucial that they also have a good track record, license, and insurance. On top of these, be sure their rates are reasonable. If you’re on the hunt for a machinery moving company in Vaughan, Matcom is one of the leading companies in the area with years of experience in the industry. Visit their machinery moving page to see how it works.